Section 701. Committees.
(a) Committees may be created from time to time by the House of Delegates, by the Board of Governors or by the President, to
deal with matters of interest to the Association. There shall be a Committee on Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility as
contemplated by Section 204(d) and a Planning Committee composed of the following:
- Vice President, who shall serve as Chair;
- Treasurer, who shall serve as Vice Chair;
- Immediate Past President;
- Immediate Past Chair of the Young Lawyers Division;
- The At-large Governor(s) in the third year of his/her term;
- Four Zone Governors in the third year of their terms; and
- Two Members appointed annually by the President, with the consent of the Board of Governors except as provided in 7(ii).
- Appointed Members must be members of the House of Delegates at the time of appointment;
- It is intended that the Appointed Members serve in staggered terms and that each President appoint two (2) Appointed Members annually. Accordingly, of the initial six (6) Appointed Members, two (2) shall serve for a term of one (1) year, two (2) shall serve for a term of two (2) years, and two (2) shall serve for a term of three (3) years;
- Except as provided in 7(ii) and 7(iv) of this Section, each Appointed Member shall serve for a term of three (3) years and shall not be eligible for re-appointment to successive terms after the Appointed Member has served a full three-year term;
- If the Appointed Member is a member of a sub-committee whose task is still underway at the time the Appointed Member's term expires, the Appointed Member may continue to serve on the sub-committee until its work is completed.
- Appointments to the Planning Committee shall be made with due regard for the Association's commitment to diversity
- Any vacancy among the Appointed Members shall be filled for the duration of the unexpired term by appointment of the President.
(b) The scope or jurisdiction of a Committee shall be set forth in writing by the body or officer creating
or extending the Committee. At each Annual Meeting the Secretary shall submit to the House a compilation of the respective scope or
jurisdiction of all existing Committees. Each such committee shall continue in existence until the end of the year next following that in which
it was created, unless sooner discharged by the House. The life of any such committee may be extended, from year to year, by a vote of
the House or the Board.
(c) No matter shall be referred to a Committee which is within the province of any Section except by a vote of the House or the Board.